Procedures for reporting an absence, tardy, or early release
- Doors will open at 9:00 a.m., after the first bell. At this time, students are permitted to go to either their classroom or the cafeteria for breakfast. To keep our students safe, they may not arrive at school prior to 9:00 a.m. All students should be seated in their classrooms by the second bell at 9:15 a.m.
Absent or Tardy
- If your child is going to be absent, contact the school office before 9:00 a.m. on the day of the absence by using the attendance form that you can fill out online and send electronically or by calling the attendance line at 703-503-3737. The attendance line is available 24 hours a day for your message. If the parent/guardian does not notify the school of the child’s illness, the absence will be unexcused.
- If you child is going to be late, contact the school office before 9:00 a.m. on that day by calling the attendance line at (703) 503-3737 or by emailing the school at FairviewESAttendance@fcps.edu. Students are considered tardy, if they arrive after 9:15 a.m. After that time, they are required to go directly to the office to receive an “Admit to Class” slip. Parents are required to sign their children in at the office if it is after 9:15 a.m.
Excused or Unexcused
The following are the types of situations that create an excused or unexcused absence or tardy:
- Excused Absence and Tardy—Illness of the student, death in the family, doctor or dentist appointment, extremely inclement weather, and observance of a religious holiday.
- Unexcused Absence and Tardy—Family trip, childcare situation, oversleeping, non-school–related activity, traffic, or missed bus.
- Parents/guardians who need to occasionally pick up children early from school MUST do so prior to 3:30 p.m. We will not be able to call into classrooms between 3:30 p.m. and 3:55 p.m. for early dismissal. Exceptions will only be made for medical emergencies.
- Parents who are picking their children up early from school MUST come to the office and present a valid ID to sign your child out AND receive a printed visitor badge. You may then go to your child’s classroom to meet your child.
- Fairview ES will not allow a student to walk home alone during the school day, nor will we release your child to anyone other than a parent or guardian without a written request signed by the enrolling parent or guardian.
- Walkers and Kiss & Ride students will be dismissed from their classrooms at 3:55 p.m. Bus riders will be dismissed beginning at 3:55 p.m. or as soon as their bus arrives. Buses generally leave Fairview between 4:05 and 4:10 p.m.