Procedures for reporting an absence, tardy, or early release
School begins at 9:00 a.m. Walkers and car riders should arrive at school no earlier than 8:45 AM. Students should be in their seats and ready to learn by 9:10 a.m.
Absence or Tardy Notification
Or you can call us:
- After school hours, call and leave a message on the attendance hotline at 703-503-3737.
- During school hours, call the office (between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.) at 703-503-3700.
- Please be specific about the reason why your child will not be attending school today.
- Indicate whether your child has any of the following symptoms:
- Feeling feverish or chills
- Fever greater than or equal to 100.4 F
- Headache (not due to another health condition, hunger, menstrual cramps stress, or injury)
- A new cough (not due to another health condition)
- Shortness of breath or breathing difficulties (not due to diagnosed respiratory condition or if different than normal pattern of chronic condition)
- A new sore throat (not due to another health condition)
- Congestion or runny nose (not related to allergies or health condition)
- Fatigue (more tired than normal or sudden onset)
- New muscle pain (not due to another health condition or that may have been caused by a specific activity such as physical exercise))
- New loss of taste, smell, or appetite
- Abdominal pain (not due to hunger, constipation, injury, or stress)
- Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
We will communicate quickly with parents or guardians when a student does not come to school as expected.
If the school does not receive a call from a parent, the absence will be considered unexcused.
Excused Absence and Tardy—Illness of the student, death in the family, doctor or dentist appointment, and observance of a religious holiday.
Unexcused Absence and Tardy—Family trip, child care situation, oversleeping, nonschool-related activity, traffic, or missed bus.
Virginia State Law
Virginia State law requires that each student who is absent from school must be reported each time by a responsible person. An excused absence is one for which parents/guardians have prior knowledge, consent, and a legitimate reason. Legitimate reasons include: illness of the student, death in the family, and observance of a religious holiday. Absences for family and student vacations are unexcused.
According to state law, the following actions need to be taken:
- 5 Unexcused days - parent notification via letter and plan required
- 6 Unexcused days - (one additional day) - conference required
- 7 Unexcused days - attendance officer involved, possible court action
Release of Students during the Day
Fairview will excuse a student during the day for valid reasons. Parents should email the teacher and contact the main office ([email protected]) when your child must leave early. Parents must come to the school office to pick up and sign out their child. Fairview will not allow a student to walk home alone during the school day, nor will we release your child to anyone other than adults listed on the Emergency Contact Form without a written request signed by a parent.